PRE-2017 CATALOGUE REQUIREMENTS
*Refer to this catalogue if you started your program before Fall 2017.
The African American Studies curriculum provides an interdisciplinary approach to establish a broad-base of knowledge in the field. Students must complete 30-33 semester hours to receive a Bachelor of Arts degree in African American Studies or 18 semester hours to receive a Minor.
Required Courses – African American Studies Major
- AAST 100, – Introduction to African American Studies
- AAST 206 – Interdisciplinary Research Methods in African American Studies
- AAST 247 – African American History to 1877
- AAST 248 – African American History since 1877
- AAST 340 – Advanced Interdisciplinary Seminar in African American Studies
- AAST 390 – Senior Seminar in African American Studies
- One 100-200 level course from the HumanitiesOne 100-200 level course from the Social Sciences
- Two elective courses from the 200- or 300-level and one elective from the 400-level
Required Courses – African American Studies Minor
- AAST 100 – Introduction to African American Studies
- One 100-200 level course from the Humanities
- One 100-200 level course from the Social Sciences
- One 100-200 level course from History
- One 300-level and one 400-level elective course
Independence Study Requirements
Independent Study in African-American Studies is meant to support outstanding students with interests beyond or outside current course offerings of the department. Students should approach an instructor well before the beginning of the semester (i.e. before winter break for Spring proposals or end of April or summer for Fall proposals) and do so with a well thought-out project in mind. Students should keep in mind that, while independent studies do not usually require classroom meeting time, they are meant to be demanding research enterprises. Students should expect to work 6 to 8 hours per week on their projects. Minimum requirements are as follows, but individual instructors may establish further restrictions on the candidacy of individual students for independent study at their discretion.
- Student is require to have a GPA of 3.0 or above in all work taken at UIC.
- Student is expected to work on a topic integral to African-American Studies and to have completed at least one course with the instructor before enrolling in the Independent Study course.
- No student will be permitted to enroll after the 10th day of class.
- A maximum of 8 semester hours in Independent Study in a given Department or Program may count toward the degree.
- Registration into this course will not be allowed until the student has received the approval of the supervising instructor and the department. In order to get approval, please fill out the Independent Study Form, including the Independent Study Form for your Instructor.